Welcome to FK Wiki. This is a wiki maintained for and by students of Gadjah Mada University in the International Program at the Faculty of Medicine. FK Wiki's purpose is to offer students a central location to get practice test papers (i.e. past-year test questions) and any other learning resources to help students succeed and study more efficiently.
FK Wiki was founded on October 31, 2012 by Waqqas Hanafi, an international student of batch 2011. Although an English language wiki, the name FK Wiki comes from the abbreviation of Fakultas Kedokteran (Indonesian for "Faculty of Medicine"). Students commonly refer to the Faculty of Medicine as "FK" (pronounced "ef-ka") when speaking.
In the words of Waqqas Hanafi:
- "I started at the International Program with no knowledge of the Indonesian language. During the admission process, I was told by the faculty administration that everything is in English and that I wouldn't need to learn Indonesian until koas. I arrived unprepared thanks to this misleading advice. Unfortunately, many of the lectures, labs, field trips, OSCE, paperwork, notices, and learning resources such as the HSC were in Indonesian. Instead of studying, I was forced to waste hours and hours typing things into Google Translate. I spent countless hours and plenty of money taking Indonesian language classes when I should have been studying. Most of my OSCE preparation involved memorizing Indonesian language scripts instead of actually learning the clinical skills. I felt I was always at a disadvantage compared to other students and felt it wasn't fair that an Indonesian-speaking student can spend an hour reading the HSC and I had to spend three hours translating and then two hours making sense of the bad translation, just to get the same information. During my first year, I also saw Regular Program students passing notes, checklists, videos, and test questions to their friends in the International Program. I did not have any friends in the Regular Program, mainly due to the language barrier. Combined, all these problems led to me getting consistently low grades. I did not want any student in the future to suffer the same way that I did, and at the same time, I want to improve the International Program by making it more international and also by giving students good resources to study from. That is the story of why I founded FK Wiki, in hopes of achieving these goals."
 Why FK Wiki when we already have HSC?
Until now, students relied on the HSC for lecture notes, explanation of labs, and past-year pre-test questions. We believe a wiki is a better option in the long run.
 HSC vs FK Wiki
 The HSC
- It costs the students money. The money goes to the authors of the HSC (and this is not a bad thing since it motivates students to contribute to the HSC).
- The HSC gets pirated very quickly when students just photocopy the original or download it in PDF form.
- A lot of paper is wasted because copies of the HSC are usually thrown away at the end of each block.
- The HSC is published yearly, so it becomes old the moment the block ends. Next year, there will be a new HSC for that block.
- Only a few authors are allowed to contribute to the HSC.
- Only in Bahasa Indonesia because it is made by the Regular Program.
- Does not include past-year block exams. Students have to find these themselves.
 FK Wiki
- It is free.
- There is no need to photocopy or search for original copies because it is accessible on tablets, phones, and computers.
- No paper is wasted as FK Wiki is entirely online. It is searchable. You can increase the font-size too. Students that hate trees can of course print individual pages on FK Wiki if they really want to (a "printable version" link is on the left side of each page).
- Constantly being updated and your copy never gets old or obsolete.
- Anybody can contribute and improve the content on FK Wiki. Mistakes or wrong information can get fixed faster.
- Made specifically for the International Program, so it is in English.
- Includes past-year block exams. No need to chase after friends asking for past-year block exam copies.
- Color photographs and links to Wikipedia, other websites, and even Youtube videos.
Nevertheless, we don't expect the FK Wiki to replace the HSC or compete with it. Instead, the FK Wiki is simply another option available to students.
Similar to Wikipedia itself, the FK Wiki is a totally not-for-profit undertaking with no advertisements on the website or any membership fees.
 Challenges faced by FK Wiki
HSC is already established and only modifications have to be made every year to keep the HSC current. This wiki is starting from scratch so it will only become useful when there is useful content contributed to it. Another challenge is that since the FK Wiki is for the International Program, there are far fewer people that are using it as opposed to the HSC, and thus fewer people that are available to contribute. So, the greatest challenge faced by FK Wiki is during the beginning when students will need to contribute more than they get out of FK Wiki. The following year, students will thank their seniors for building the FK Wiki.
 How to contribute to the FK Wiki
Basic structure has already been made and if you would like to contribute, feel free to create an account (see link at the top to register), and begin editing in information into pages. There is an Edit link at the top-right of every page that allows anybody to make changes or add new content.
Don't know how to start editing? See: Getting Started.
 Social Media